(619) 505-7777

Hillcrest assault victim recovering at Scripps-Mercy Hospital

Richard Jackle is recovering from injuries sustained from an assault in Hillcrest last month.
Photo credit:

Although details of what exactly happened on October 14 in Hillcrest are not yet clear, one man is recovering in the hospital after he claims he was attacked on Robinson Avenue near Jamba Juice that afternoon.

Richard "Ricky" Jackle is a carefree, happy individual says his cousin Derrick Roach so the violence against him came as a shock. “He was assaulted causing him to fall and hit his head on the curb of the sidewalk,” he says in a GoFundMe page set up to help with the over $500,000 medical bills that keep rising.

As a result of Jackle’s intensive head trauma, he also suffered memory loss which makes exact details of the crime unclear.

San Diego Gay and Lesbian News reached out to law enforcement for a police report who confirmed the assault but add at the time the victim did not want to press charges.

“On 10/14/2017 at approximately 1648 hours, an unknown male pushed the victim to the ground causing a one-inch laceration to the back of his head,” Officer Billy Hernandez said in an email. “At the time of police contact, the victim was uncooperative and stated he didn’t want to press charges.”

However, shortly afterward Roach said he talked to his cousin at his bedside where Jackle told him he does want to press charges and police were investigating a named suspect.

As a result of the fall, Jackle was only initially treated for a head wound, but after experiencing new symptoms, his diagnosis became more severe. 

"While under observation at the hospital Ricky began feeling numbness in his hands and arms and resulted in a loss of movement in his hands, arms and legs," describes Roach on the crowdfunding page. "The injury caused swelling which compressed his spinal cord resulting in loss of movement and some paralysis."

Those injuries were treated with surgery to, "remove a couple discs from his neck to alleviate the pressure and swelling on the spinal cord," therefore decreasing the risk of further paralysis. 

Although details remain unclear, the family says they are working to, "determine the circumstances of the assault which we believe was the result of Ricky trying to intervene in an argument to de-escalate the situation."

If you would like to contribute to the GoFundMe page for Jackle's medical costs, click HERE