The San Diego Fire Department responded to the fire above furniture outlet.
A fire in Hillcrest broke out on the 400 block of University Avenue early Thursday evening.
The two-story mixed-use building is home to “famaliving” furniture store on the first floor with residential apartments on the second.
According to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department the fire broke out just before 6 pm. Smoke filled the hallways and NBC 7 News is reporting that it began in a void space “in the exterior wall of the building between the two floors.”
The Red Cross was notified and helped to assist 11 residents living on the second floor.
Electricity to the building was lost.
Damages are estimated to be $25,000.
No other details are available at this time.