Parking prohibited Friday and Saturday evenings on 5th Avenue from Broadway to Harbor Drive
Editor's note: This is a press release from the office of Councilmember Todd Gloria, Third Council District
San Diego City Councilmember Todd Gloria today joined representatives from the Gaslamp Quarter Association, the San Diego Police Department, and Downtown small businesses to announce a pilot project to improve accessibility in the Gaslamp on weekend evenings. Starting Friday, September 2, 2016, all street parking on 5th Avenue from Broadway to Harbor Drive will be converted to a three minute passenger loading zone.
The new parking regulations will be enforced every Friday and Saturday evening from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
“The removal of parking along 5th Avenue during weekend evenings is going to significantly increase pedestrian safety and improve emergency vehicle access in the Gaslamp Quarter,”said Councilmember Gloria.
“Anyone who has been in the Gaslamp on a Saturday night knows that the current configuration of backed up traffic and patrons being dropped off is untenable, so I applaud the community for working on this creative solution to improve access to San Diego’s premier entertainment district.”
The San Diego City Council approved the new rules in June earlier this year.
The changes were initiated by community groups including the Gaslamp Quarter Association and the Downtown Community Parking District to address issues of pedestrian access, congestion, and safety.
Similar traffic management plans are currently put in place on 5th Avenue during extremely busy events and holidays such as Halloween and New Year’s Eve. The San Diego Police Department supported the two year pilot as it improves circulation in the area and provides for faster response times to address public safety concerns.
“I am hopeful that this change will lead to similar projects to improve the visitor experience for pedestrians in the Gaslamp and build upon the successful destination the small businesses there have worked so hard to create,” said Councilmember Gloria.
“We also know this is a big change and don’t want anyone to be caught off guard, so the City will be issuing notices to vehicles for the first three weeks of the program to phase in its enforcement.”
Signage for the new pedestrian loading zone was installed this week and the City will begin issuing notices this weekend to all violating vehicles as part of a three week grace period.
On September 30, vehicles parking in violation of the posted signage will be issued citations and impounded.