Part two of a series on the basics and benefits of yoga
Last week we discussed what yoga is and explored some of the various traditions and offerings found in the yoga world.
Yet, irrespective of the style, yoga carries with it health benefits that are sparking curiosity.
What can yoga do for you?
1. Deeper Breathing: The breath is one of the primary ways to remove unneeded waste from the body. Through yoga you can stretch out your lung tissue, and increase the amount of oxygen you take in and the CO2 the body takes out with every exhale.
2. Relaxation Response: Through a deep breath, the parasympathetic nervous system becomes activated and inhibits our flight or fight response. As a result, the body’s other functions – like immunity – perform better.
3. Weight Loss: One of the myths yoga helps to dispel is ‘no pain, no gain.’ Many studies are now coming out to show that being in a relaxed state is one of the most important components of healthy weight loss. Overly-strenuous exercise can actually create more stress system-wide.
4. Digestive Health: The digestive system is one of the primary ones, as it houses 85% of our immunity and is the processing center of food. Many yoga movements squeeze and replenish the digestive organs, helping them stay vibrant.
5. Peace of Mind: Although having a quiet mind is not the goal of yoga, many practitioners find that they are better able to focus their attention on the thoughts they wish to focus on most.
In addition, the final relaxation of the practice provides an extremely important time for the body to assimilate the movement, rest, and provide potential space from within.
More about Danny Arguetty, M.A.
Danny Arguetty, M.A., a Nutrition, Health and LIFE (Living in Free Expression) Counselor, has been involved in the health field for the last decade. He guides clients in the San Diego area utilizing customized wellness programs.
Danny specializes in supporting the GLBTQ community in losing weight, increasing energy, curing digestive distress, and in implementing simple and easy healthy living strategies. He also offers private yoga sessions, cooking instruction, or health food catering for individuals, couples, or small size gatherings.