Your family and friends will love these!
¾ c. shortening, equal parts Crisco and unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
½ t. vanilla
2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3 oz. egg whites (usually 3 large eggs)
1/8 t. cream of tartar
1# powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside
- Beat the shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed thoroughly mixed. Stir the flour mixture in the wet mixture until they come together.
- Form dough into a disk and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough on pastry board or table lightly dusted with flour, to desired thickness. The thinner the cookie, the crispier they will be and they will bake faster too!
- Use cutters to shape cookies and a small spatula to transfer cookies to an ungreased cookie sheet or one lined with a slipat.
- If you are just decorating with colored sugars, sprinkle on the cookies before baking.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes, less if a thinner cookie and more if a thicker cookie.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with royal icing or butter cream frosting
- Whip egg whites until they start to break up
- Add cream of tartar and whip until frothy
- Gradually add powdered sugar until icing holds a peak and is dull in appearance
- Color can now be added to the icing, since we all wanna be extra!
- Keep covered with a wet paper towel when not using as it will dry out quickly
- Pastry bags and a set of decorating tips will be your best friends when decorating these cookies