This Lemon Bar recipe is sure to bring back memories of those sweet summer days.
Are you missing summer already? Try making these lemon bars and all the memories of the beach and the beach bodies will wash over you, making you wet one last time.
I always double this recipe because there is more goodness to enjoy that way. You can use almond and/or coconut flour in place of the all-purpose flour to make them gluten free. And feel free to switch it by using limes or oranges to make these bars as well. Try all 3!
1 c. all-purpose flour (almond flour or coconut flour, or use a ½ c. of each)
½ c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
¼ c. powdered sugar
¼ t. vanilla extract
2 large eggs & 1 large egg yolk
1 c. sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour (almond flour or coconut flour, or use 1 T. of each)
¼ c. freshly squeezed lemon juice (lime or orange juice)
1 T. freshly grated lemon zest (lime or orange zest)
1 t. powdered sugar, or to taste
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly oil an 8x8 baking dish, use an 8x13, if doubling
- Place flour and butter in mixer and mix until just combined
- Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt; should look like a crumbly cookie dough
- Moisten fingers with water and press dough into baking dish. Use a fork to prick holes in the crust
- Bake crust until edges are barely golden, around 20-22 minutes, slightly less time if using almond and/or coconut flour
- In a bowl, beat eggs and egg yolk together; whisk in sugar and flour until smooth
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest, whisk for 2 minutes
- Pour lemon custard over the crust (crust does not have to be cool)
- Bake until custard is set, about 25 minutes
- Cool completely before cutting into the bars. Dust with powdered sugar.