The show had been greenlit for another season.
ABC has canceled “Roseanne” after the star's racist twitter rant this morning.
The comedienne was publicly e-flogged for comments she made about former Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett.
“muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” she tweeted, then retracted the statement in an apology saying it was all a gag.
“I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks,” Barr said. “I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.”
But her apology wasn’t enough to keep show consultant Wanda Sykes or ABC happy. First Sykes tweeted that she was quitting and then ABC announced they were canceling its reboot soon after.
“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show,” ABC entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement to TheWrap on Tuesday.
Co-star Sara Gilbert statements mimicked those of ABC but she added, “This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love— one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.”
The iconic 80s and 90's sitcom was in it to win it with the latest reboot. Great reviews and impressive numbers gave the show enough power to return for a second season that was scheduled to premiere in the fall. But Barr's association and support of President Trump left people wondering if she could still become the media boss she once was. ABC execs have answered that question with this latest news.