The board will consider this item at today's meeting.
People who experience homelessness need resources and services that put them on a better path, one that leads to safe, secure housing. To address this, creating a Department of Homeless Solutions and Equitable Communities at the County will make us a better regional partner, more coordinated internally and support serving more unsheltered people.
On April 6th, San Diego County Board of Supervisors will consider our policy proposal for this new department. With a favorable vote, we will be able to centralize the county’s homeless resources to improve collaboration with external partners and streamline the location of emergency and permanent supportive housing. This work will also be driven by a new set of guiding principles which include:
- Prioritize equity in all aspects of homelessness prevention and response
- Ensure evidence-based, data-driven solutions
- Commit to a Housing First approach
- Offer support, instead of criminalizing homelessness
- Trauma-informed and person-centered care
- Prevention through strategic intervention