SAN DIEGO, California -- The San Diego Human Dignity Foundation (SDHDF) will grant up to eight people living with HIV in San Diego County 50% of the cost to attend the annual AIDS Watch conference in Washington DC on April 13-14.
AIDS Watch is the largest annual national constituent-based advocacy event focused on HIV and AIDS in the United States. A partnership of Treatment Access Expansion Project, AIDS United, and the US People Living with HIV Caucus, AIDS Watch draws hundreds of HIV-positive advocates and their allies to Washington to educate Congress members and their staff about HIV/AIDS. All participants are provided with training on current science, legislative agendas, and conducting effective meetings with their elected representation.
To qualify, consumers must be nominated by a recognized San Diego AIDS/HIV service provider who has received funding from SDHDF in 2015 or 2014.
SDHDF will make all the flight and hotel accommodations and cover the cost of meals as well. The sponsoring agency and/or individual will need to raise $800 to receive the matching grant.
Additional information is below.
• Consumers travelling with San Diego Human Dignity Foundation should plan on travelling Saturday, April 11 and returning to San Diego on Thursday, April 16.
• Training will take place on Monday, April 13 at FHI 360 Conference Center, 1825 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington DC.
• Meetings with congressional offices will take place throughout the day on Tuesday, April 14, and will be scheduled by regional/state coordinators.
• Registration for AIDS Watch is free and includes continental breakfast and lunch on April 13. Meals can only be guaranteed for those who have registered for the conference.
• Special rates are available at Hotel Palomar for AIDS Watch participants. A block of rooms at discounted rates have been established at Hotel Palomar, located in Dupont Circle, just a few blocks from the Training Site at FHI360 Conference Center.
To apply, send an e-mail including the name of the consumer, why the person is being nominated by the agency, and a brief bio to email@example.com. This opportunity is first come first served and the application process will close March 2.
Those interested in learning more about AIDS Watch 2015 are invited to an information session at the SDHDF office on Tuesday, Jan. 20 at 5:30 pm. SDHDF is located at 2508 Historic Decatur Road, San Diego, CA 92106. Space is limited and RSVPs are required for the meeting. Call 619-291-3383 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a space.