The annual Pie in the Sky fundraiser benefits Mama's Kitchen
SAN DIEGO -- Popular local dining institutions such as Sycuan, Urban Solace, Hyatt Regency La Jolla and Just Call Us Catering are just a few of the companies that have pledged their talent to create and donate delicious pies for the upcoming Mama’s Pie in the Sky Thanksgiving Bake Sale.
The fundraiser, which kicked off last week, benefits Mama’s Kitchen, a nonprofit organization that delivers healthy meals at no cost to San Diego men, women and children affected by HIV/AIDS or cancer.
Fresh pumpkin, pecan, apple and no-sugar added apple pies are on sale now and will be available through Nov. 18 for just $20 each.
All proceeds from pie sales go directly into funding thousands of free, hot and nutritious Mama’s Kitchen meals, which help ensure that no one living with AIDS or cancer will go hungry in the San Diego community.
Many of San Diego’s top pastry chefs, caterers and bakeries donate traditional Thanksgiving pies for this annual Mama’s Pie in the Sky Bake Sale. Mama’s Pie in the Sky volunteers will deliver the pies to more than 20 sites throughout San Diego County for pickup Wednesday, Nov. 21.
So far, 26 bakers from throughout San Diego County have come forward to donate pies to the effort. These include:
- 25 Forty Bistro (Old Town)*
- Alchemy San Diego (South Park)*
- Andaz San Diego (Downtown San Diego)
- Behind the Scenes Catering & Events (Miramar)
- Brothers Cafe (Downtown)
- Centerplate (Mission Valley and Downtown San Diego)*
- Cork and Platter (Spring Valley)*
- Crazy Wheel Coffee (food truck)*
- Elizabethan Desserts (Encinitas)
- Empire House urban palate (Hillcrest)*
- Feast On This Catering (Miramar)
- Loews Hotel Coronado Bay (Coronado)
- Hyatt Regency Mission Bay(Mission Beach)
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla (La Jolla/UTC)
- Just Call Us Catering (Clairemont)
- San Diego Desserts (Rolando)
- Scottish Pastries Co. (El Cajon)*
- Sbicca (Del Mar)
- Stone Catering (Escondido)*
- Sycuan (Alpine)
- The French Gourmet (Pacific Beach)
- The Manchester Grand Hyatt (Downtown)
- The Palm Restaurant (Downtown San Diego)*
- The Wild Thyme Company (Miramar)
- Twiggs Bakery & Coffeehouse (University Heights/Normal Heights)
- Urban Solace (North Park)*
* = new participant in 2012
“The annual Mama’s Pie in the Sky pie sale has become a Thanksgiving tradition in San Diego. It provides an opportunity to check off one more thing from your holiday ‘to do’ list while supporting our mission,” said Alberto Cortés, executive director, Mama’s Kitchen. “The price of one pie is just $20, and enables us to provide six nutritious, home delivered meals to our neighbors affected by AIDS or cancer.”
In 2011, the Mama’s Pie in the Sky Bake Sale was the biggest and most successful to date, netting more than $100,000 through pie sales and event sponsorships for the organization. This year, Mama’s Kitchen hopes to sell more than 6,000 pies during the six-week sales period, and raise $125,000 and fund more than 39,000 meals.
Individuals and teams are encouraged to volunteer to sell pies for a chance to win prizes from generous sponsors. Pie Sellers are also encouraged to use their social media networks to promote their participation in Mama’s Pie in the Sky, as all sales funnel through their sales website.
Pies can be purchased online or by calling 619-233-6262.