SAN DIEGO -- Mama's Kitchen has developed a creative program for people to help fill the shelves of its pantry program through a Coupon Wars contest.
Between now and April 3, the public is encouraged to use coupons to purchase any of the items on the Mama’s Pantry Wish List and then bring the food and their receipts to the pantry for counting and verification. The winner who saves the most amount of money using coupons wins the “Coupon Crown” and two tickets to Mama’s Day, a restaurant tasting fundraiser that will be held on May 11.
Mama’s Pantry, a service of Mama’s Kitchen established in 2004, provides a nutritional shopping opportunity at no cost for men, women and children of San Diego County affected by HIV/AIDS. Clients come to the pantry once a month to select their own non-perishable items such as cereals, pastas and canned goods from a wide inventory.
The pantry service is designed to meet the needs of low income individuals with HIV/AIDS who can benefit from occasional nutritional support to maintain their health and stretch their food budget.
Mama's Kitchen has posted a set of rules to guide the contest:
- Purchase any foods listed on the Mama’s Pantry wish list. The wish list may be downloaded from their website.
- Non-perishable food donation recommendations include the following: canned tuna or salmon, boxes of cereal, bottles of cooking oil, jars of peanut butter, jars of jelly, bags of rice, packages of dried beans, spaghetti sauce, canned goods (fruits, soups, vegetables, chili, pasta and beans), and small boxes of dry milk. Items should not be over-sized, but can easily be transported by Mama’s Pantry clients who often rely on public transportation.
- The person who saves the most amount of money using coupons wins the "Coupon Crown" and two complimentary tickets to Mama’s Day.
- Only food purchased on the receipts and donated to Mama’s Kitchen will count towards the winner.
- No expired food will be accepted.
- Store sales and specials will count toward savings, as long as they appear on the receipt.
- Participants must abide by the stores’ coupon policies.
- Bring the food with the receipts to Mama’s Kitchen by Tuesday, April 3, at 5 pm.
- For tallying accuracy, all food must be bundled with corresponding receipt.
- All receipts must have the contestant’s name, phone number and e-mail address clearly written on them.
Mama’s Kitchen is located at 3960 Home Ave. For more information click HERE.