70,000 pounds of pet food and supplies are available across San Diego County
San Diego Humane Society is taking necessary steps to protect the health and well-being of the animals in our care, our staff and the community we serve. At this time, we are open by appointment only, although we are minimizing activities that involve groups of people, and we are making adjustments to protect everyone's health and safety. The below page is intended to provide emergency updates as we have them. We also recommend you follow San Diego Humane Society on Twitter @sdhumane.
Pet Food and Supplies
San Diego Humane Society is distributing 70,000 pounds of pet food and supplies across San Diego County to pet families who need extra help during the COVID-19 pandemic. Through the PAWS San Diego pantry program, anyone can visit SDHS’s campus locations in Escondido, Oceanside or San Diego between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to pick up a bag of dog or cat food, as well as other supplies, such as cat litter, pet treats and pet beds while supplies last.
We’re partnering with the San Diego Food Bank, San Diego Unified School District and other human service groups serving seniors in our community to make pet food available at their distribution sites.
Temporary Change in Services
In light of Governor Gavin Newsom’s new state order to ‘Stay at Home,’ we have changed our adoptions process to be by appointment only. If you have an existing appointment, it will be honored. If you would like to schedule an appointment to adopt an animal, please call 619-299-7012.
It is imperative that we continue to find homes for the animals in our care. The flow of animals into shelters will not cease due to COVID-19, so we are pleased to be able to continue providing adoption services in this way.
We will continue to provide the following services to our community:
- All San Diego Humane Society shelters will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Adoption appointments can be made by calling 619-299-7012. You will be set up with a counselor for a virtual appointment before the adoption can take place.
- Pet licensing can be completed online here.
- Intake of stray animals and owner relinquishments will continue. Owner relinquishments will be accepted via appointment only. Please call 619-299-7012 to schedule.
- Helping owners find their lost pets through our lost and found services – available online and by phone at 619-299-7012.
- Humane Law Enforcement to respond to priority calls.
- Providing exceptional care for the animals in our shelter.
We are only accepting in-kind donations purchased directly through our AmazonSmile® Charity Wish List. We are so grateful for your generosity and understanding as we prioritize the safety of our human and animal friends.